Thursday, February 2, 2012

Bus burning in Dakar

University students' response to the death of Mamadou Diop, reported to have been run over by a police car during the Tuesday evening riots.  Nobody seemed to have been hurt...protesters just had everyone get off the bus and then strategically burned it in the center of a really busy intersection.  By the time I saw it on my walk home it was no longer on fire, but traffic was backed up in multiple directions.

We have a mandatory meeting with the embassy today to talk about the security situation here in Dakar.  I'm a bit worried because I don't want them to say anything about cancelling the program.  The elections violence is certainly a concern but the type of protests and the way that the uprisings have manifested themselves don't make me overly concerned for my security here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers